Monday, September 12, 2016

Technology

Technology! It's what i'm passionate about. I'm that person that always has the new iPhone, iWatch, iSomething. I'm that person that people call to help with their computers, email or gadgets.

I was so excited to hear that my cousin's daughter was given a new laptop as a freshman at her high school. In fact every student at her school was given laptops to be used for the duration of their high school careers. My cousin's daughter is now a senior in college. A senior!! That was almost eight long years ago that her public high school lent out student laptops. 8 YEARS AGO! To say Paramus is behind is an understatement. I've asked around and many neighboring public schools have given out laptops to their students. We are one of the few that haven't. Textbooks are online. Assignments are online. Everything is online.

One of the things I want to fight for if elected to Board of Ed is more technology. I'm proud of our schools but don't want them to fall behind with this. Anyone that has visited the high school or any of the middle schools knows how shotty the wifi is. The high school has a BYOD policy. Bring your own device. But you are only allowed to bring one. That's great! But when that one device you bring can't successfully connect to the school's network, how useful is that?

Now i'm not going to be pretend to be a technology expert. That I am not. And I know that new computers and upgrading our network is going to cost a lot of money. But can you think of a better way to spend the budget's money. I'm hoping the future of Paramus schools is more connected. In more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment